Saturday, January 20, 2007

Studio Time and Treadle Singer Machine

Back in 1992 my husband and two sons were going from antique shops to antique shops in northern Illinois look for an antique singer machine. We found many iron bases with a new wood top attached and the price was more then we could afford. I wanted a treadle sewing machine, cabinet and iron base. We went Richmond Illinois and once again went from shop to shop and could not find what I wanted. We gave up and took the boys to an ice cream shop. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a sewing machine. I was so happy when I got to the shop it was just what I wanted and I started jumping up and down. I yelled for my husband and sons to come over to me. The shop owner must of seen how happy I was when she walked over to us. My husband asked what the price was and I was not sure I heard when she said $55.00. I looked at my husband asked if we could afford it. My husband asked the shop owner the price again and she said $55.00. He asked again are you sure? Once again she said $55.00. I could not get the words out of my mouth but I wanted to say SOLD!!!!! My husband said we will take it. With tax the total was $58.58. This was in 1992 and how could the price be so low. In all the other shop the price was over $200.00 just for the iron base and wood top. How did the shop owner know $55.oo was about all we could afford. I thank her over and over.

The best part of the story is the treadle machine, cabinet and iron base is in perfect work order. All it needed was a new belt and throat plate. I called Singer and gave them the serial number and they sent me a copy of the original owners manual. They said the sewing machine was made in 1923.





Today I have been painting and stamping fabric. I also dyed some fabric dryer sheets. I do not have a project in mind but you never know when the creative juices will flow. I have 1 string left to sew on 10 blocks and I am done. I will these on friday for the HeartStrings Quilt Project.

Tomorrow is the Bears vs Saints game and I have a dozen FQs on the line for a bet with Nancy.

GO BEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do have to say if the Bears we not in the playoffs, I would be cheering for any of the 3 other teams.

Everyone who has left comments the past few days about my Art Quilt and Journal Quilt, Thank-you very much! Without your praises I could not continue to create Quilts.


Have A great Evening and Sweet Dreams!

Debbi

10 comments:

quiltpixie said...

dying fabric sheets sounds like fun...

Carol said...

Your machine is absolutely beautiful...what a treasure.

Teodo said...

This machine is fantastic. You know..the house I live in was builded where there was a Singer factory. But I haven't a machine as nice as your. ciao, ciao.

Sweet P said...

What a beautiful Singer machine. I bet the owner didn't know what she had when she sold it. Her loss, your gain.

Go Bears!

Fiona said...

What a beautiful machine - it was obviously destined to be yours.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

You got a deal!! the old machines rarely have as much left of the printed symbols on the machines. You asked a question on my blog about the inside panel of a Purple Secret Garden quilt, and yes it is a panel and I'm sorry I can remember the name of the material. The panel is all cut up and used in the piece, but, If you look for the Victorian themed purple, they also make it in green, there, are giant urns in the corners and eagles with ribbons. Great blog!

meggie said...

Beautiful old Singer- absolutely meant to be yours to treasure!
I have my Grandmother's old one, it was made in 1915, & has been used a great deal over the years. It still works, & I learnt to sew on it, & I still love it.

I hope the Bears won for you!
I was born without the 'sporty' gene! LOL.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I, like Meggie, have my grandmother's treadle. It's a "Standard", not a Singer; but I love it nonetheless. Yours appears to be absolutely perfect and certainly meant to be living with you at your home! Great story.

Helen said...

What a pretty machine. I am VERY jealous. Isn't the machine lucky to have an appreciative owner like you!

Susan said...

What a gorgeous Singer. That one is called a "Red Eye" I am told. My daughter has one and just last week she got one for me too. It has to live in Georgia until we move in 2008 but I can wait.